"Jay-Z shook my hand once."
Thank goodness for Cold Stone Creamery, otherwise the world might never know about Nate Ruess, AKA the lead singer of Fun. (Seen above hanging out with his friend and collaborator Pink. You know, NBD.) Because it was almost being promoted to assistant manager there that made him realize decadent ice cream creations were just not his destiny.
So it was his true love, music, from then on out. Nate started the band The Format in 2001, later forming Fun. in 2008. You may have heard of them—their song, “We Are Young,” was basically the biggest thing to hit 2012.
So big, in fact, that it helped make Nate Ruess the proud owner of two shiny new Grammys. The moral here: If working at an ice cream shop gives you an existential crisis, it’s time to explore other avenues.
Let’s talk about college. No college! My biggest regret. But not ‘cause of the education thing. I started doing [music] right after high school, so I feel like I lost out a lot on the college experience. One time seven or eight years ago, my old band played a sorority party. It was the closest I ever got to that whole thing. And it was wild—wild, I tell ya.
What was your first job? My parents made me get a job at 15. Which is pretty fucked up cause I’m not sure you can legally be hired ‘til 16. But apparently one Cold Stone Creamery in some shitty part of Phoenix thought it was legal. I must’ve been good at it ‘cause they tried to promote me to Assistant Manager before my 16th birthday. I thought my whole life was being planned for me, so I freaked out and quit. Which sucked ‘cause I ended up having to work construction with my dad during the Arizona summers. But it was there that I decided I would never in my life work a typical job.
What about your worst job? [Doing] press. Imagine someone asking you the same question, sometimes 16 times a day. And the kicker… MOST OF THE INFORMATION IS ALREADY ON THE INTERNET!!!
What’s your dream job? Floor: An internship somewhere in the San Antonio Spurs organization. Ceiling: Dunking a basketball.
A job you would never want? A brewmaster or whatever that’s called. At first you think, “Wow, that’s cool, they get to drink all day.” But then you realize that day drinking is never a good idea. And you’d have to day drink ALL day.
So, how did you get this job? I got this job cause I was the only one of my friends too lazy to learn an instrument, yet entitled enough to think I could be the lead singer.
It was really slow going at first (some said I sucked), but I loved music and hated “jobs” too much to stop. Eventually I started getting the hang of it and things really started to take off, while I actually learned and got better at my craft.
A few years later my friends decided I was too much to handle. So I had to find new friends. And I did. But now I fear they might think I’m too much to handle.
Follow fun. on Twitter.
- grimmieland reblogged this from snails-and-swans
- korycaha reblogged this from snails-and-swans
- korycaha likes this
- captain-ab-merica likes this
- 2701reby likes this
- funisthename reblogged this from snails-and-swans
- northern-downpoured likes this
- aimto-ignite reblogged this from snails-and-swans
- aimto-ignite likes this
- missfunatic reblogged this from snails-and-swans
- darkanjelofdeath reblogged this from snails-and-swans
- darkanjelofdeath likes this
- everybodyknowsomebody reblogged this from snails-and-swans
- sightofthenathan reblogged this from snails-and-swans
- snails-and-swans reblogged this from howdidyougetthatjob
- speedingcars1596 reblogged this from howdidyougetthatjob
- washed-my-hands-of-that-for-this reblogged this from bacallandwilliams
- notnateruess likes this
- roseruess likes this
- anewdestinytothegrave reblogged this from iackantonoff
- be-calm-carry-on likes this
- compatibletodrift likes this
- xmorax reblogged this from thomasnassiff
- we-dont-say-goodbye likes this
- hanifahussain reblogged this from iackantonoff
- lovethegambler reblogged this from twenty-one-pilotes
- boxingupthefireworks likes this
- lovelifeandwrite likes this
- eatmyshortsbender reblogged this from i-believe-in-sherlock-holmes221b
- deerstalk reblogged this from twenty-one-pilotes
- savetheteen reblogged this from snodil-praty
- captainamurrrica reblogged this from twenty-one-pilotes
- daughter-of-ophelia likes this
- countessrose reblogged this from brosephtrohman
- seeking-the-golden-ratio reblogged this from guardiansoftheegalaxy
- trainwreckofahumanbeing likes this
- trainwreckofahumanbeing reblogged this from nathanieljosephruess
- love-me-im-cute-and-gay likes this
- love-me-im-cute-and-gay reblogged this from i-believe-in-sherlock-holmes221b
- goefframsey likes this
- shaun-coco likes this
- guardiansoftheegalaxy reblogged this from twenty-one-pilotes
- i-believe-in-sherlock-holmes221b reblogged this from twenty-one-pilotes
- i-believe-in-sherlock-holmes221b likes this
- twenty-one-pilotes reblogged this from nateroose
- amostlyboringtwentysomething likes this
- iwillendyouinc reblogged this from snodil-praty
- snodil-praty reblogged this from dostbunnies
- thenate-harold likes this